All About Electricians Journal Today

These are the top five electrical hazards in your home

Mar 26

Growing up, most of us were taught that electrical safety is important, but electrical hazards are still the cause of hundreds of deaths and thousands of injuries each year. According to the Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI), home electrical hazards cause around 51,000 fires each year, more than 500 deaths, more than 1,400 injuries, and $1.3 billion in property damage. Electricity has become so central to our lives that we often forget hazards are all around us — especially in our homes!

Here are five of the biggest electrical hazards we at Gravette Electrical Services recommend you look out for:

Faulty wiring

Old or poorly installed wiring is the biggest electrical danger lurking in many homes. According to the National Fire Protection Association, faulty wiring is the cause of 69% of all electrical fires. The ESFI recommends that the best thing you can do to prevent this hazard is to ask a qualified electrician to inspect your home. Especially if your home is over 30 years old, have noticed dim or flickering lights, or have heard sizzling and buzzing sounds near lights or appliances.

Our experienced electricians at Gravette Electrical Services would be happy to inspect your home to ensure your wiring meets the safety standards in the National Electrical Code (NEC).


One thing that electricians at Gravette Electrical Services will make sure of is to not install an outlet near a water source.  Most people know that water and electricity can be a lethal combination, but it’s easy to forget when you’re rushing in the mornings and you turn off a switch with still-wet hands. One way you can avoid this situation is by asking an electrician to install a switch in the bathroom that can automatically shut the lights on and off. Water can still get near outlets, however, which is just as dangerous. Another preventative is installing electrical outlets with a self-closing flap. Not only do these outlets prevent water from entering the outlet with a sudden splash, but they also prevent children from sticking small objects into them.

Not only that, but space heaters are high-wattage that are known to cause overloading on circuits. If you plan to use one, make sure you never connect it to an extension cord or power strip. Only connect it to a wall outlet. If the plug, cord, or outlet feels hot, disconnect your heater and have an electrician check the wall outlet!

Whether you’re looking for an electrician for a full inspection or just have questions on electrical safety, we at Gravette Electrical Services are happy to be put to the test! Call us to increase the electrical safety in your home today!